Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ernest Triple Feature (Ernest in the Army / Ernest Goes to School / Ernest Goes to Africa)



Importance of Watching Ernest
I've been a fan of Ernest my whole life. The commercials are great, the series was excellent and I really like the first four movies. After 'Ernest Scared Stupid' Jim made five more Ernest movies but the first four(the three on this set and 'Ernest saves Christmas')are what I personally think are the best! So, In my opinion, this set gives you three of the four BEST Ernest movies!

I own the dvd releases from 2002 of the three movies in this 2011 set. The first thing I noticed was that 'Jail' and 'Scared Stupid' are in anamorphic widescreen 16x9. Which I was happy to see because the 2002 dvds of those two films are in fullscreen. Well, I compared the two and it seems that the widescreen is actually the fullscreen cropped to fit the 16x9 ratio. I noticed that in 'Jail' when they show an exterior of Ernest's house you can not see the sidewalk in the widescreen version but can in the fullscreen. It's too bad that they could not get the theatrical print* but it doesn't...

Great picture quality. Anamorphic too!
I won't bore anyone with an actual review of the films. We all know Ernest is awesome, and these are 3 of the best Ernest films. I was pleasantly surprised with the video quality. They looked very nice played on my upscaling dvd player, and best of all, they are all anamorphic. A must buy for Ernest fans, especially for the price.

Thank You, Mill Creek Entertainment!
I have to admit, for me at least, Ernest P. Worrell was an acquired taste. It took awhile for the charm of the character to finally get through to me. Probably the first Ernest appearance to really tip the scales for me was in Ernest Saves Christmas (not included in this triple pack, but readily available on a single disc DVD) which I saw in the theater, many years ago. I'm a sucker for Christmas movies anyway, and ESC just hit all the right buttons for me.

Over the years, the genius that was Jim Varney slowly grew on me, catching the occasional Ernest movie that would turn up on cable TV. I often entertained the notion of collecting the Ernest films on DVD, as they had come to be true guilty pleasures for me. But other than the aforementioned Ernest Saves Christmas, I somehow never got around to it. Then along comes this Mill Creek Entertainment Ernest triple feature for well under ten dollars. What a deal! The perfect way to kick-start my Ernest DVD collection...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment