Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / UltraViolet)



An OZ-some DVD Experience
Like most baby boomers, I've watched this film dozens of times in the past on broadcast TV, then VHS tape, then LaserDisc ... but I had never actually SEEN "The Wizard of Oz" until this newly restored DVD came out. It's an amazing transfer. The sepia-tone Kansas sequences are startlingly sharp and clear, and the Technicolored world "Over the Rainbow" is truly dazzling. I found myself fascinated by details I had never noticed before: the glittering corn stalks in the Scarecrow's field; the mirror-like floors of the Emerald City; the polished buttons on the guardsmen's uniforms. Incredibly, even the individual grains of red sand in the Witch's hourglass stood out and glistened! All these minor-but-sumptuous visual details served to heighten the magical spell that the film has always woven, enhancing the performances, the story, and the music.

The DVD extras are a mind-boggling embarrassment of riches. The "Making Of" documentary hosted by...

(Blu-ray update) Not a restoration, but an entirely different view of the film.
I was just critized for foisting off the following review of the 3-disk DVD set as a review of the new Blu-ray. I didn't; Amazon did. As anyone who's been here for a while will notice, Amazon throws all DVD reviews into the same bucket, regardless of the edition. So don't blame me.

I just got the Blu-ray, and will have some comments on it at the end.

There's no need to discuss "The Wizard of Oz" itself, a classic among classics (though I'll have something to say about its "philosophy" later on). You probably want to know whether the UltraResolution transfer justifies the purchase.

It does. Oh, yes it does.

"The Wizard of Oz" has always looked good, one of the better Technicolor films. Unlike "Gone With the Wind", which was generally dark and desaturated, and which UltraResolution greatly improved, I didn't expect much enhancement for "Oz".

Was I ever wrong. I stared with my jaw hanging open. "Oz" is the best UltraResolution...

2009 two, four and blu-ray version contents:
Completely irritated by the lack of info I raked up my own for your pleasure:

THE WIZARD OF OZ 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition (4-Disc DVD Set or 2-Disc Blu-ray Set)

Also available in 2-Disc DVD Special Edition
(or 1-Disc Blu-ray)(CONTENTS BELOW)

Warner Home Video celebrates the beloved classic with spectacular new DVD or Blu-ray version, September 29, featuring 16 hours of enhanced content (four of which are brand new) -- includes New Documentaries, Featurettes, a Sing-Along Track and Extraordinary Collectibles!

Burbank, CA -- It is difficult to imagine a motion picture more magical and more wonderful than Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's beloved and classic 1939 musical, The Wizard of Oz. Over the last seven decades, the film has indelibly woven itself into America's cultural consciousness: Is there anyone who doesn't immediately think of the film upon hearing the words, "Dorothy," "Toto," "Emerald City," "Ruby Slippers" and...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment